Friday, July 23, 2010

Blackwater diving.Part One.

Blackwater diving is perhaps the second most dangerous diving, the first being cave diving, but then again, as my instructor said, only crazy people dive caves.
Blackwater diving is diving in perfectly black water. It is so dark that when you put your hand in front of your face you can't see your hand. Even if your hand is on your face, you still cannot see the difference. Yet when you turn on your flashlight, it extends into the distance like a laser beam. This phenomenon naturally occurs when there is an excess of debris is the first strata of water. the debris catches the light and completely blocks it. the lower strata are completely light and debris free.


When I went on my Blackwater dive with my dive buddy Jon, our Dive master who gave us our dive buoy so no matter where we went, we would always have that line showing us which way was up. As we descended below 35 feet it got so black, it was disorientating.
We started our search for stolen cars, but, as we proceeded, Jon, hit me on the arm, and pointed to our back.
I shined my dive light and I see our buoy floating right behind us, shrunken with pressure. We had no way up... We had lost our sense of direction.

That's the feeling I have now. That there is so much blackness that the little light I shine just seems to disappear. The things that I would look to direction, the exterior things, they aren't not working. People I know and respect are doing things they once clearly knew to be wrong once.
It's not just anybody, it's people who I respect, who I like. I've been through two deaths this summer, and it's shaken my world. One because it was my first granddad, and the other one, was it was a boy who I could have saved after he drowned.. but I wasn't able to.
Life will always have those moments, when you get bewildered, lost, disorientated with where you are. You can't even guess which way is up.


Part 2 coming soon, you will see the conclusion to both my diving story, and what I feel God is leading me to when disorientated. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment