Monday, March 9, 2009

A Week with Homeschoolers Part 19

Part 19 Secrets revealed

Ben shouldered a jacket on and his eyes smoldered. Then he walked into the other room and grabbed a rifle. He walked up the stairs and disappeared. The group of people milled around discussing escape options. Chad suggested that they wait until morning and just drive out. See, these homeschoolers, for all their smarts, they continued to make mistakes involving common sense. Like putting hot cocoa mix in the cup b4 the hot water. Gee, or milk b4 the cereal. The car should have been a first idea. Oh well, just because you have an IQ of 140+ doesn’t mean that you have the common sense to tie your own shoes. There was this one guy in my basic.. well that is another story for another day. Then they proceeded to do a very homeschool thing, hug and cry, over a game of spoons. Carol and Scarlett sat and hugged each other, and then they went upstairs. In Carol’s room , Scarlett and Carol prayed and went through some of Klaus’ things. After about an hour they heard a crack.

“Did you hear that? I think that I have heard that 4 times this last hour.” Carol cocked her head. “lets check it out”

They went into the hallway and they heard the crack again from the adjoining room. “Do you think it is the beasts breaking in?” Scarlett gripped her 38 snub nose and cocked the hammer back while easing the door slightly open. She squinted and pointed the pistol at a dark figure by the window.

“If you are going to shoot me with that, pull it back one more time. It’s on safe now” Scarlett blushed in embarrassment.

How could she do that? She walked in with Carol and the two of them sat on the bed as Ben relaxed and sat up, putting the rifle on the side. Ben got up and sat down on the bed and hugged Carol as she broke into tears again. When she stopped crying Ben started talking.

“I had a girl I talked with a long time ago. I fell in love with her. 5'6, funny, stylish, yet kinda shy but would open up when she knew you, loved God, comical, loved babies, loved to cook, read, make things, had a real sympathy for people and wanted to make them feel better. Affectionate and caring, yet would tease a bit, loved everyone and yet strong, emotional (in a good way)...She was everything I ever wanted but I rushed it. I wanted more. I ended up hurting her deeply. I waited a year, then I tried again. Her dad told me that b4 I could talk to his daughter again I had to work on so much. I sent letters for 6 months to the dad before he gave me permission to talk to Ava again. I began to court her when he gave me permission. It was awesome and we really grew in God. We got engaged and had a whirlwind courtship. We got married 2 years ago and she got pregnant with a baby boy. It was awesome. I was so happy. 2 months into our marriage we were walking in the park and a drive by shooting happened. I covered Ava with my body but I was too late. My wife died in my arms and I couldn’t do anything! She didn’t say anything to me, just died. I couldn’t get over it for several months. Today is the 2nd year anniversary. I miss her so much. I just want her back to hold her and tell her I love her.”

Scarlett and Carol were shocked. Why had they never been told? Why did they not know? Tears flowed down Ben’s face as he continued. “I have failed, I couldn’t keep anyone safe, Klaus, Charlyn, a lot of people are dead, and I think we all going to die. I am trying so hard, but I am failing so miserably. What do I do? What can I do? I don’t know what to do. I’ve been trying to be strong but I feel so inadequate. I know I need to be a man, but I want to be held and this to end.”

Scarlett just hugged Ben and they had a group hug. You can’t say much when stuff like that happens. They all went downstairs again and rejoined the group. A couple of the group, Kim, Chad, and Michael were keeping an eye on but the beasts had retreated. Ben divided the group into shifts despite Matt’s angry disturbances. The ones not on shift went to an uneasy sleep. I know Homeschoolers going to bed b4 the sun goes up is weird. Oh well, this wasn’t a normal reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment